What you need:
- Butternut Squash, 1
- Spinach Leaves, 2 cups diced
- Quinoa, 1 cup cooked (1/2 cup dry), I used red here but you can use any color
- Dried Cranberries, 1/4 - 1/2 cup sliced
- Jicama, 1 cup diced into cubes
- Rice Vinegar
- Salt & Pepper
As with all my seasoning, unless the measurements are very important, season according to your taste.
I will say that in this dish, because the squash is sweet, either add more of the Vinegar (like I did) or your salt, to balance the sweetness; unless you love your dishes sweet :)
the Quinoa and the Rice vinegar you can find here:
Lets Get Started
1) Heat the oven to about 375-400 degrees, Slice the Squash into two long halves and place them in the middle rack of the oven. Bake until inside is tender and outside is golden-brown, roughly 30 minutes.
2) Cook the Quinoa according the instructions on the box, then let it cool down for a bit when ready about 5-10 minutes
3) While the quinoa and squash are being cooked, in a bowl mix together the Spinach, Jicama, and Cranberries. When the quinoa is ready and cooled down just a bit, add it to the mixture.
4) When the squash is ready fork out all the meat inside, and add it to your spinach/quinoa mixture. Try to leave the Squash skin intact, because you will be using it as your serving dish.
5) Add all the seasonings to this mixture and then spoon the whole thing back into the Squash skin, and enjoy!!!
I normally eat this as my main meal with an added avocado, however it will also do great as a side dish/salad with chicken breast r fish.